Mental Health Division

Mental Illness FAQs

Who can have a person involuntarily placed for treatment due to mental illness?

A court may enter an order requiring a person to be examined if, based on the sworn testimony of others, it appears that the person is mentally ill and because of the mental illness has refused or is unable to submit to a voluntary examination.

If it appears that a person should be involuntarily placed in a facility for treatment, a petition is filed by the administrator of the facility where the person was temporarily located. The administrator's petition must be accompanied by the opinions of two psychiatrists.

Why do I have to come to the Clerk's Office to file mental illness petitions?

The petition to have a person examined, assessed or treated for mental illness must be based upon the sworn testimony or personal knowledge of the petitioner(s). Therefore, you must appear in person to take an oath.

Can the court request someone in jail be moved to a mental health facility?

No. The court with jurisdiction over the defendant's criminal charges takes precedence. However, Orange County Corrections employs a staff psychologist who screens individuals for mental illness. For more information, call (407) 254-7557.

Do I need an attorney to file a mental illness petition?

No. However, the law requires that an attorney be appointed to represent the interests of the respondent.

Why is it important to know where a person is at the time a petition is filed?

According to Florida law, a petition seeking to commit a person for examination, assessment or treatment of mental illness must be filed in the county where the person is located. It is also necessary for law enforcement to locate the person at the time the court order is filed.

How long will a person remain in a facility if committed?

If the person is committed for mental illness, and the person is committed for the purpose of examination, the person must be examined within 72 hours. If the person is committed for treatment, a facility may retain the patient for a period not to exceed 6 months. A person assigned to less restrictive treatment alternatives will usually undergo an average treatment period of about 4 weeks.

Can I petition the court for commitment if a person is discharged during the assessment period?

No. If an examining physician finds that a patient meets the criteria for continued treatment of a mental illness, the treating facility will petition for involuntary placement. Otherwise, the patient is released or treated on a voluntary basis.

Can a judge order a person to take medicine after release from a facility?

No. The court's jurisdiction ends when the person is discharged from the treating facility.

Are mental illness court records confidential?

Yes. Court records are open for public inspection unless a law or a court order specifically provides that a certain type of record is not confidential. According to Florida law, the clinical records of a patient being treated for mental illness are confidential. 

Who pays for the treatment of mental illness?

It is the policy of the state of Florida that no person will be denied treatment because of the inability to pay. However, if the person receiving treatment or someone responsible for that person is able to pay for treatment, efforts will be made to collect for the services.

Where in Orange County are people evaluated for mental illness?

A person who is committed for involuntary examination must be taken to the nearest receiving facility. Orange County receiving facilities include:

Lakeside Alternatives 
434 West Kennedy Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32810
(407) 875-3700         

Florida Hospital South 
601 E. Rollins Street
Orlando, Florida 32806
(407) 303-4800 
Central Florida Behavioral Hospital                 
6601 Central Florida Parkway
Orlando, Florida 32831
(407) 370-0111 
University Behavioral Center 
2500 Discovery Drive
Orlando, Florida 32826
(407) 281-7000