Passport FAQs


How do I find out the status of my passport?

The status can be monitored by clicking the Dept. of State link below:

How long is my passport good for?

  • Adult Passports (16 and older) are valid for 10 years.
  • Minor Passports (15 and younger) are only valid for 5 years.

Can I take my photo at the Clerks’ office?

Yes, you can have your photo taken by a clerk at the Clerk’s office for an additional fee of $15. 

Can I take my own photo for my passport?

Yes, however you cannot use a selfie and all photos must meet the Department of States guidelines reflected in the link below

Can I get my passport on the same day?

No, The Clerk of the Court must send the passport application to the Dept. of State. The Department of State will process the application for issuance.  

To obtain information on expediting, please visit the Dept of State at:

Can I renew my passport with the Clerk’s office?

No, the Clerk’s office does not handle the renewal of passports.  

If you meet the renewal guidelines listed in the link below, you will submit the application directly to the Dept. of State by mail.

What do I need to bring to process my passport?

A complete list of documents is listed on the Dept of State link below:

Can I wear my glasses in my passport photo?

No, you cannot wear glasses. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, you must submit a signed note from your doctor.

Can I wear a hat or other head covering in my passport photo?

No, you cannot wear a hat or head covering. However, if it is required for religious attire you must submit a signed statement. If it is required for daily medical purposes, you must submit a statement signed by the doctor.

Your full face must be visible with no shadows and your hairline cannot be obscured.  Please see details and examples on the link below:

Do the children have to be present for the minor applications?

Yes, all applicants including children are required to be present.

Do both parents have to be present? What if one of the parents cannot be present or cannot be located?

Yes, both parents must be present under normal circumstances.  
If one parent/guardian is unable to appear, they can complete Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) to be submitted with the child's passport application.  

  • The form needs to be signed and notarized on the same day and must be less than 90 days old.
  • Submit a copy of the front and back of the non-appearing parents ID
Additional information can be obtained at:

If you need to submit form DS-5525, passport fees and service fees are non- refundable.  Therefore, if the application is denied the amount previously paid will not be refunded.

What if I do not have the original birth certificate?

If you do not have an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the Office of Vital Statistics in the state that you were born in to obtain one.  

The link below provides the birth certificate requirements and a link to the U.S. Vital Statistic Offices:

Can I use my expired passport that was issued to me as a minor to show citizenship?

Yes, a fully-valid, undamaged expired U.S. passport issued to an adult or a minor can be used to prove citizenship.

Additional evidence of U.S. citizenship information can be found at: